- • Able Data
is the premier source for impartial, comprehensive information on products, solutions and resources to improve productivity and ease with life’s tasks.
- • Accommodation Cost Guides for People with Disabilities
lists the renovation costs and logistics of various home remodeling for people with disabilities.
- • Accommodation Resources: Blindness
connects to an extensive list of sites for the blind and deaf, blindness related organizations, assistive technology resources, legal resources, product services and much more. From University of Washington.
- • Advance Corporation Braille-Tac Division
manufactures architecturally designed interior/exterior way-finding sign systems using standard and custom ADA compliant signs.
- • All About Vision - Low Vision Information Guide
aids in vision correction, exploring contact lenses, eyeglasses and laser surgery, as well as occupational disfunction correction such as computer screen magnifiers and screen display software. Also locate doctors and learn about eye conditiotions.
- • American Academy of Ophthalmology
read about the professional associations of ophthalmologists, find a doctor, and learn about eye problems.
- • American Council of the Blind
- • American Foundation for the Blind
- • American Foundation for the Blind Support Group
- • American Optometric Association
- • American Physical Therapy Association
offers a list of publications of interest to parents and educators of handicapped children.
- • Blind and Visually Impaired Girls - Support Group for the Blind
contains miscellaneous topics relating to parenting a child with a visual impairment, no matter what their particular eye condition might be.
- • Blindness and Visual Impairment Forum
- • Blindness Resource Center from New York Institute of Special Education
contains information on blindness including history of braille, university programs, vendors. Covers eye diseases and details the latest research.
- • Coping with Sudden Illness or Disability
- • Depression and Disability
- • Disability Accommodation Guide UK
find insight into the steps to ensure the home is disability-friendly, and how to take these steps in the most cost-effective manner possible.
- • Disability Resources Monthly
is a web resource focused on disability issues. Includes publications, software, videos and databases.
- • Disability Rights in Housing from HUD
- • Disaster Preparedness for People With Disabilities (PDF format)
is to help people who have physical, visual, auditory, or cognitive disabilities to prepare for natural disasters and their consequences.
- • Disaster Preparedness for People with Disabilities and other Special Needs
in PDF pamphlet format.
- • Duxbury Systems - Worldwide Braille Translation Leader
offers Braille Translation Software and other products, support techs, discussion groups, resources on braille and blindness, web sites, vendors and more.
- • Erickson Labs Northwest
providing Custom Ocular Prosthetics, the website also describes their prosthetics and how they are made, directions for their use, and lists products available for artificial eyes.
- • Eye Health Web
comprehensive information on all elements pertaining to the eyes and eye health.
- • Fire Safety & Disabilities Guide
- • Guide Dogs for the Blind
is a non-profit organization that provides guide dogs and training in their use to visually impaired people. Includes breeding, kennel and veterinary care, locations, events etc.
- • Guide on Job Searching With a Disability
details the hiring methods available to human resources and the laws that govern the employment system.
- • HelpHopeLive
is a national nonprofit engaging communities in fundraising to help patients and families ease the financial burden of a medical crisis.
- • Housing & Mortgages for People with Disabilities
is a comprehensive information sheet on home buying for the disabled. Includes tips on the process of buying a house, terminology and financial assistance.
- • Housing Rights for Renters with Disabilities
- • I Am Legally Blind - Personal Stories, Advice, and Support
- • Institute for Rehabilitation and Research - TIRR Memorial Hermann
is considered a national leader in medical rehabilitation and research; sets the standard as a teaching hospital for Baylor College of Medicine and UT Medical School at Houston. Rehabilitation services for catastrophically impaired individuals.
- • Judo for Blind Athletes
is a listing of Judo resources for the blind, including coaching tips, rules, and links.
- • Legally Blind Support Group
- • Lighthouse International
has delivered information and resources on education, research and low vision for over a century. Find links to the Lighthouse Education Center and the Lighthouse Rehabilitation Center.
- • MaxiAids
offers products for independent living, including low vision watches, talking clocks, bathroom aids, cooking products, and many others that help those living with vision and other disabilities.
- • Mayo Clinic
provides "Reliable Information for a Healthier Life" including large sections on nutrition, weight loss programs and advice, and fitness.
- • Mendelian Inheritance in Man search site - National Center for Biotechnology Information
a database of human genes and genetic disorders developed by staff at Johns Hopkins and hosted on the Web by NCBI.
- • Microphthalmia and Anophthalmia Children's Society
aims to offer emotional and practical support to those who have children born with Anophthalmia, Microphthalmia or Coloboma.
- • National Industries for the Blind
- • National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation - NOAH
provides forum for questions and answers, event schedules. Lists topical publications.
- • National Organization for Rare Disorders
offers a clearinghouse of info on rare diseases, including genetic metabolic disorders and birth defects.
- • Northeastern Association of Blindness at Albany - NABA
- • Pacer
provides assistance to individuals and families. Includes workshops and materials for parents, professionals and leadership in securing free and appropriate education for all children.
- • Refractive Lens Exchange (Lens Replacement Surgery)
information on refractive lens exchange, also called lens replacement surgery or clear lens extraction.
- • Refractive Lens Exchange Debate
- • Research Training Center on Blindness and Low Vision from Mississippi State University
has a mission to enhance employment and independent living outcomes for individuals who are blind or visually impaired through research, training, education, and dissemination.
- • Service Dogs - Learn About the Different Types
- • Sighted Spouses - Help Forum
- a forum designed specifically for those who have sight but live with someone who doesn't.
- • Surgical Eye Expeditions
is a non-profit humanitarian organization that provides medical, surgical and educational services by volunteer ophthalmic surgeons with the primary objective of restoring sight to disadvantaged blind individuals worldwide.
- • Texas Commission for the Blind
is a state agency that aids the blind and visually impaired in obtaining quality jobs and live independently. Includes programs, policies, laws, reports, news, links and more.
- • Texas Optometric Association
- • The National Eye Institute (part of National Institute for Health)
is an organization supporting over 80% of eye research in the US. Find details about current research, publications, grant info, plus keyword search.
- • Top Tips for Getting Fit if You’re Disabled
interview / Q&A with Dom Thorpe, a trainer who specializes in fitness for those with disabilities.
- • Ultimate Guide to Home Accommodations for Persons with Disabilities
contains an exhaustive list of considerations for those with disabilities and those who are in marketing home accommodations for persons living with disabilities.
- • University of Houston College of Optometry
- • Wilmer Eye Institute's Information Source at Johns Hopkins
is an exhaustive resource of information regarding the care and prevention of eye ailments. Includes information on clinical services, education, and research.